A 36-year-old Puerto Rican nursing assistant who did not want to reveal her last name and only went by the name Maddy was the only minority on the six-person jury who opposed the “not guilty” verdict of George Zimmerman. She admitted she was the juror who originally wanted to convict Zimmerman of second-degree murder, but eventually realized that the evidence supposedly didn’t support a guilty verdict with respect to his claim of self-defense.
“I was the juror that was going to give them the hung jury. I fought to the end,” she said. “That’s where I felt confused, where if a person kills someone, then you get charged for it. But as the law was read to me, if you have no proof that he killed him intentionally, you can’t say he’s guilty.”
She continued, “as much as we were trying to find this man guilty…they give you a booklet that basically tells you the truth, and the truth is that there was nothing that we could do about it. I feel the verdict was already told.”
However, as a mother of eight children, Maddy said she wonders if she made the right decision and feels like she owes Martin’s parents an apology.
“It’s hard for me to sleep, it’s hard for me to eat because I feel I was forcefully included in Trayvon Martin’s death. And as I carry him on my back, I’m hurting as much Trayvon’s Martin’s mother because there’s no way that any mother should feel that pain,” she said.
Here is what I have to say to “Maddy”:
1) The road to hell, since you are a believer in god’s law and Jesus and all that crap, is paved with good intentions.
2) It seems to me almost like the legal team and all were trying to intimidate the jurors by throwing that “book of truth” as she calls it, at them, confusing them with a bunch of legal jargon and manipulating them into a non guilty verdict. In other words, the defense and all gamed the system and engaged in a lot of manipulation to coerce and shame the jury into a non-guilty verdict citing “the law” and “procedures” to these clearly uneducated dolts. As she she said, she knew he was guilty but was basically talked out of it. This illustrates the degree to which our legal system is divorced from justice.
If the legal process was improperly enforced by the court and state due to incompetence or something worse, this does not change the fact that this jury, including god fearing “Maddy” OK’d vigilantism against a young black man.
3) This trial was never about proving Zimmerman’s guilt, it was about trying to prove why Trayvon Martin deserved to be shot.
4) As the law states, an aggressor cannot use self defense. Zimmerman was the aggressor because he was the one who left his car, despite dispatch telling him to stay in, and he was the one who stalked the boy who had no idea who Zimmerman was and probably thought he was gonna get mugged or else attacked by Zimmerman. So Trayvon defended him himself, not the other way around.
5) Apparently Zimmerman standing his ground was ok, but Martin doing the same thing was not and he deserved to die.
6) A 17-year old teenager who walked around with candy and was unarmed got killed and the jury really believed that it was not the fault of the person who stalked and murdered him and thus at least deserving of a manslaughter verdict.
7) “Maddy” knew what the right thing to do was, she is admitting that Zimmerman got away with murder, but she still went ahead and found him not guilty. “Maddy” could have voted any way she wanted. No gun was at her head. That she chose to vote for acquittal, due to coercion and/or intimidation by other juror, is ultimately on her. She can’t blame anyone else or anything else. She alone stands to blame with regards to there not having been a hung jury.
8) “You cant get away from god“? That has got to be dumbest and most hypocritical load of shit I have heard anyone say thus far in this case. How fucking convenient.
I love it how religious people try to excuse their own bad behavior and bad, immoral, detrimental decisions by stating that hey, if I was a terrible person and let a murderer get away, it’s ok, god will take care of it. That she actually had the nerve to come back and state that Zimmerman will be the one facing his maker, like she had nothing to do with the outcome, is the height of hypocrisy.
Way to not take responsibility for your own actions, “Maddy”, and instead bet on god taking care of something you should have taken care of yourself. Guess what, honey bunch, there is no god, and no one will punish Zimmerman. He racially profiled, stalked and murdered a black boy and got away with it because you let him go. It wasn’t your god or Jesus, it was you. But let me tell you one thing, if there was indeed a god, Zimmerman would not be the only one facing him. You would be standing right next to him.
I have absolutely no sympathy for her and hope she has an eternity of rotten nights of no sleep because of it.
Finally, I would like to point out that there are two kinds of evil in the world: people who do evil things and people who see evil being done and do nothing about it. “Maddy” falls into the latter category. See, she had a choice and she chose to let him go. Her confession and remorse after the fact are absolutely meaningless.